Versatile Blogger Award
I believe it’s about time to get another one of my award post done. This one is the Versatile Blogger Award (nominated by Yahari Bento) where you need to share 7 things about yourself. I will use this chance to talk briefly about my history of games, and 7 consoles that shaped up my gaming life.
1. Admittedly my very first major gaming experience was on the PC, back when CRT monitors were still a thing, even. Other than that, it was mostly the occasional Super Mario on the NES or the occasional Game Boy which I borrowed. At best, gaming was something I just dabbled in. When we got a PS1 however, the console finally converted me into a bona fide gamer. RPGs especially, were games that consumed much of my childhood. Final Fantasy games during this era were a treat.
2. It wasn’t until a little later that we have a PS2 at our house. And as you might have expected, I played a lot of great RPGs during this time period too. Final Fantasy, Wild Arms, Hack, Suikoden, Grandia and so on. RPGs truly peaked during this era, as I could have sworn there were limitless supply of them. Also, who could forget Persona? I first got into the series via Persona 3 in PS2 and has been a longtime fan of the franchise ever since. Although fan of the RPG genre, this was also the time when I started branching out to other genres too, and played quite a lot of fighting games, racing games, action games and so on. Speaking of action games, Devil May Cry 3 was an absolute blast.
3. I got a PSP while I was in my senior years of high school. I think Brave Story was my very first game on the portable console, and has since played a lot of great titles on it like Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday, Blazblue and Corpse Party. Actually, I’m still playing games on the PSP even to this day, and it still shows no signs of breaking down. I swear the thing’s a freaking tank.
4. I bought a PS3 pretty late into the game (hilariously PS4 was announced not even a year after I bought PS3), and at a time when work and life obligations really tied me up. At this point, it was becoming harder and harder for me to enjoy games, but still not stopping me from having fun here and there whenever I could. Series like Neptunia and Project Diva were where I first got into in PS3. Also strangely enough, PS3 was also where I finally sink my teeth into the Metal Gear Solid series with the HD collection. Metal Gear Solid is a series which I somehow missed during my early gaming days, for some reason.
5. You might have already notice this, but I’m mostly a Playstation guy. I bought a 3DS sometime ago, and while it had some great games, it was when I firsthand experienced Nintendo’s “gimmicky tendencies” and region locks that just kinda puts me off. Bravely Default was amazing though, and at least I also got to play Project Mirai.
6. After awhile I also bought a Vita, and while more and more of these games are on Steam nowadays (see next point), getting to play Persona 4 Golden, which will never get a Steam release, is more than worth it.
7. At my current point in life, I decided to refocus on PC gaming. Two major reasons — one being that I feel I can no longer keep up with consoles anymore, and secondly, that more and more games are coming to Steam. Throughout my gaming life, I always envision that there will soon be one dream device where you can play every single games in existence on. It’s ironic that “device” ended up being a PC all along. Well it can’t play every games in existence, but it’s close; hence, my decision to refocus on PC gaming. Hell, I actually just build a budget gaming PC not too long ago (build here, if anyone’s curious). Only just got it recently and so far I have only played Tales of Berseria and Nier Automata; but yeah, been having fun with it through the very snippets of my shitty life when I can actually spare the time for gaming.